25.4.18

🔮Don’t give up on your dreams: Blog Journey🔮

Today is a very special topic because I want to share my journey into blogging. During my 3 year hiatus, I did a lot of self reflection, now I’m ready to restart this journey.

After countlessly getting denied on Lookbook.nu, I decided to start a blog in 2009, I wanted to share my style. Back then, Lookbook was very selective, you would have to apply to get invited. Now, everyone can join it. I’m guilty for having one, but no grudges. All love.

Always trust the process

I always had a fascination for fashion and style. Heck my mom even signed me up for Susan Page Modeling in Hawaii back in 8th grade. Growing up, my inspirations were (and still are) my sisters and my aunty. My aunt would sew my Halloween outfits, prom dress, ect. I used to sketch designs and she brought it all to life. It was magic!

In high school I would go thrift shopping and buy high waisted shorts or rompers and style them with my favorite oxfords. I even participated in a fashion show my senior year with my life long friend Ian. We went on a school field trip to Honolulu Community College together and was interested majoring in fashion.

Then in college, I started actively updating my blog here and there, hoping to make it a career. Sadly it was my downfall, I started becoming something I’m not. Buying all the “trends” in brands that were not in a budget of a struggling college student. I used to work on campus to support myself, I paid my last semester on my own... textbooks, fabric, tuition.

🌸I believe for every raindrop, a flower grows🌸

I remember when blogspot first did Adsense, they told me I needed to keep trying and get more views. Once I finally did, it took a long time to see any income. It was exciting at first but I had to keep trucking it through just to get a dollar. I felt so defeated, I even tried to stand out and make videos for each look. Anything to get recognized. 

I kept thinking that life was a competition and I have to be on trend to stay relevant. I started becoming superficial and narcissistic. Trying to get as many followers on chictopia, lookbook, and blogspot. It was unhealthy. 

Don’t validate your life on likes

People don’t like talking about their failures because their ashamed. Don’t be, it what makes you, you. The reason why I stopped sewing, was because I felt humiliated during my fashion line review in college. I let it get to me, I felt that fashion wasn’t my love but my enemy. I wasn’t passionate about it. I hated it. I resented it. My blog and sewing didn’t make me happy. I was mentally defeated.

After years of solitude, I had to find myself, fall in love with fashion again. My friends in Jacksonville inspired me to start an Etsy. I showed them my line I made in college, and they loved it. They created a spark that I thought had disappeared.

That’s why I wanted to revive this blog, I enjoy writing. I want to share my sewing creations, show you my outfit posts, link you to music that I’m vibing with. I want to ignite your passions and dreams.

Right now, my goals are: writing substance for this blog, getting back to sewing and creating an Etsy shop. I’m doing this because it makes me happy. Everyone should strive for happiness. Happiness always comes within. Do things you love and what makes you happy! 💖


✨This song soothes my soul whenever I’m feeling sad✨

No comments:

Post a Comment